Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Adding luster

I cleaned out my closet recently and took an inventory of all the equipment I’ve acquired in the last few years (skis, road bike, rollerblades, golf clubs, scuba gear, etc). With just what I currently have, I’ll never have enough free time to enjoy it all. I’ve found myself thinking long and hard about some new things in my life.

I find when I start something new; it’s always a lot of fun. Whether it’s meeting a new friend, taking on a new sport/hobby, or learning a new skill - it is automatically enjoyable because it’s new and exciting. As I look at my collection I can’t help to realize some of these things have lost some luster.

I realize I enjoyed some things so much purely because they were new, but sadly after the luster wears off you’re not left with much except with something you use to be into – sorry golf clubs, the dust on you will probably be there next season.

Then there are those things that you find that even after the luster wears off, you find an even better layer underneath. These things have become so much a part of me that I wonder how I ever got along without them – close friends, running shoes, scriptures.

So I guess this is why we still go out and seek new things to do, people to meet and places to visit even when our “to do” list seems to already be too full. After the initial luster wears off we discover a little more about who we really are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess you could say that in a perfect world we would all just try new things with the hope that it might produce that luster you wrote of. I think your outlook is extremely positive and inspiring. I wonder if there are more people like me who don't usually see new things as exciting or positive, but rather fear and dread new things/changes?! It takes me a while to warm up to the changes and find the luster that I believe is usually lurking somewhere pretty deep.