Saturday, January 28, 2006

Life Under the Sea

After talking about it for nearly two years I finally signed up for an open water scuba class at the University of Utah.

In June I will be going on an eight day dive trip with one of my best friends and his family. This is the Occidental Grand Cozumel, it doesn't currently look like this. It has been closed for three months due to Hurricane Wilma and is scheduled to reopen in February.

In preparation for this trip, I've gotten a bit overwhelmed by all the gear I will either need to purchase or rent. I have already spent more than you would like on the sweetest pair of fins, boots, snorkel and mask. They are black and silver, I'm told it's not good to get dark colors for you might get mistaken for a seal, but I make a good looking seal!

It's funny how I, a normally detailed person, don't consider any details when attempting new things. My thought process of learning to scuba went like this....

I like fish, if I can breathe underwater I'll be able to see all sorts of fish. If I get really good at it I think they call you a master. I will learn to scuba.

Now that I am in the scuba class, I realize this breathing underwater is kind of complicated. All sorts of buoyancy and pressure to think about and if anything goes wrong with this complicated equipment you have about 90 seconds to fix it before certain death. Maybe that's why it took me two years to find someone to take a class with me.

I wonder what else I've gotten myself into without really considering the details.

No comments: