Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Starting Over

When I picture progress I generally think of a steady upward slope. As we experience life, we are supposed to learn and get better as time goes on. As I look at my life, this doesn't seem to ring true. As I review my many issues, I realize I am not any better off today than I was yesterday. To be honest, I'm likely less capable of handling issues than ever before.

I have become a slave to many habits that are holding me back from what will truly make me happy. It's a very sobering experience to realize the very things I seek to for comfort are in fact the very things that are keeping me from the growth I need to become who I need to be. The truth is the fact that I ran a few marathons yesterday is not going to do me a bit of good today if I don't continue running. The accomplishments of yesterday are only valuable if we choose to continue to learn from them.

As I start over this fall, I hope I have the strength to get out of my comfort zone and embrace the changes I need.

"Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what? Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and more skilled, more self-confident and more successful." - Mark Victor Hansen

“Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” – George Bernard Shaw

No comments: