Friday, June 06, 2008

Perfect Ten

It's my ten year high school reunion tomorrow. I've had a lot of time this past month to really sit back and reflect upon my life. I watched "The Bucket List" with a dear friend earlier this year and we briefly talked about what might be on our own bucket lists. I actually have a file saved on my computer titled as such, but luckily I was never able to complete it.

For me such a list is hard to complete because there is one critical variable that we just don't know. How much time do we have? I've taken over ten hours of gerontology courses. From these studies, I have been able to gain an appreciation for the aging process and look forward to the many stages and changes we endure as we age. With this perspective also comes an urgency to live for today. I find myself from time to time asking, "If this was my last day/week/year on earth, am I doing what really makes me happy?"

That very question has helped me focus on what was most important to me these past ten years. Given my undefined life expectancy, I can say today with a smile on my face I am happy with the way I have spent my time. My to-do list for a full life is empty.

However tomorrow is a new dawn, and it is time for the next adventure. I don't really know what to expect, except to expect change. I pray I will continue to be wise enough to follow my heart, if I can hold to that, here's to another ten years of extraordinary experiences even beyond my greatest expectations.
"We must risk going too far to discover just how far we can go." - Jim Rohn

3 comments:

erica s said...

I like the "expect to expect change". I hate change but it is necessary and I like the reminder. Why don't you come out here and give Kate and I in person reminders! I might even give you a few coaching tips ;)

Brooke said...

Sammy, you are a delight. Thank you for coming to the reunion. I hope you had a blast looking back over the past 10 years.

Bradden, Sunny, Hyrum, and Olivia Cannon said...

I was sorry we didn't get to talk to you more at the reuinion. Hope all is well. come visit Iowa-- but don't forget your boat because we are under water.
-S,B&H