Sunday, August 06, 2006

My Mask


Recently, I’ve run into a few old acquaintances. We go through the usual process and update each other; trying to sum up our lives in a few short minutes. It’s trivial and superficial, the kind of conversation which is more about waiting for your turn to speak rather than listening and really communicating. I never show my true self in these situations, just different masks I’ve picked up over the years. My degree, hobbies, or political views introduced with a clever punch line to appear witty and different is pretty much all you’ll get.

I’ve also had the unreal experience of getting to know one of my closest friends in a whole new way. In getting to know them, I’ve really had an opportunity to really get to know myself. I have been able to take off the masks that I thought I could never live without and really start accepting me for who I am. Exposing my inner most thoughts, dreams and fears is something I just don’t do – not even to myself. I have found there is however, something about the truth that simply sets you free. I’ve found a sense of peace and inner strength that I never thought possible.

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage."
–Lao-Tzu

No comments: