Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Finding your pace


The first time I went to spinning I remember feeling like I had it all figured out. Spinning was supposed to simulate cycling which I do often enough, so I felt adequately prepared.

I adjusted the bike to match my road bike, and off we went. I enjoyed the upbeat music, felt comfortable and got my heart rate up in no time. Pretty soon the once loud music seemed to be drowned out compared to my racing heart. The instructor helped volumes by encouraging me to keep pace.

As I near the finish, I give it my all and use the little energy I have left to finish strong. I think to myself, I can get use to this spinning. Then it happens - the instructor yells out, “Warm up over, let’s pick it up.”

I am floored; I had saved nothing for the actual workout. I was so caught up in the details I forgot to look at the time and pace myself. At this point, all I could manage to do was smile.

I think this experience describes exactly where I am in my life right now.

No comments: